Hi. My name is Joe.
I’ve been living in Huanchaco for the last three months, volunteering in the OCN office as Marketing Coordinator. My role gives me control of the OCN Facebook and Instagram accounts. I (try to) create exciting posts for both, as well as curating collecting, editing and uploading the blog each week and keeping recruitment sites up to date.
Back in London, I work in the marketing industry. I’ve been round the block a little, doing short term contracts at several agencies around the city. Having become a little disillusioned with the marketing world, I wanted to put my skills to good use, and Otra Cosa fit the bill. Not only could I support the running of five crucial projects and several partner projects, working with some of the most disadvantaged people in Peru, but I could also grow as a marketing professional.
For those in the marketing field, who are fed up of their clients and their industry, but want to improve as a marketing professional, here are five reasons you should volunteer as Marketing Coordinator at Otra Cosa Network:
- You will be responsible for creating content. As a “Client Services” person, I’m the middle man. I manage the client and the creative team (designers, writers etc) around me. Working at OCN you get to write Facebook and Instagram posts every day and search for the right images (harder than you think). And if you’re not a photography buff – you will learn.
- You get up close and personal with the inner workings of Social Media. From carousel ads, to canvases, boosted posts and more…now when I client calls me and asks about the capabilities of the Facebook platform, I’ll be able to enlighten them.
- The team here are open to new ideas. During my time here, I planned and implemented OCN’s first ever Facebook advert test – recruiting volunteers.
- You can get involved in strategy. Back in London, strategy was reserved for the high-level bods, but here at OCN you have access to the senior members of the team. Here I put together a social media comms plan to support OCN’s yearly #HelpOCN2017
- You get to use different marketing platforms. Working here, you will use WordPress and Mailchimp, ultra-useful tools to have on your CV.
These are all awesome, but fundamentally though, you need to be here for the right reasons. Through their various projects, OCN aim to provide equal opportunities for everyone in the local area so they can thrive.
Come volunteer to OCN. Make a difference (and give your CV a little boost).
Click here to read more about our Marketing Coordinator role.
This blog was written by Joe Samuel.